In light of the shootings that swept the nation last weekend, there is an even greater need for blood donations. To honor those who lost their lives in El Paso and Dayton, AND to help people in need right here in San Diego, we're holding a blood drive at the iHeartRadio offices on Friday, August 9.
WHEN: Friday, August 9, 2019
TIME: 7am to 12 Noon
WHERE: iHeartRadio / 9660 Granite Ridge Drive #100, San Diego, CA 92019
SIGN UP: Schedule an appointment (if you’d like to donate)
General Requirements for Blood Donation
We know that you would not donate unless you think your blood is safe. However, in order for us to assess all risks that may affect you or a patient receiving a transfusion, it is essential that you answer each question completely and accurately. If you don’t understand a question, ask the blood center staff. All information you provide is confidential.
To determine if you are eligible to donate we will:
- Ask about your health and travel.
- Ask about medicines you are taking or have taken.
- Ask about your risk for infections that can be transmitted by blood – especially AIDS and viral hepatitis.
- Take your blood pressure, temperature and pulse.
- Take a blood sample to be sure your blood count is acceptable.
All donors should be in good health on the day of donation. To be eligible, you must:
- Be at least 17 years old.
- Weigh at least 114 lbs.
- Be free of major cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Have a photo ID with birthdate.
- Not have a history of Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C at any age.
- Not have had any risk factors/behaviors associated with HIV/AIDS.
If you have any questions regarding eligibility requirements for blood donation please call 800-469-7322, Ext. 8251.
Preparing for your blood donation appointment
It’s easy to share your good health through blood donation. These steps will help you prepare for your donation and ensure the best possible experience:
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Keep to your regular meal schedule, and be sure to eat a healthy meal prior to your donation.
- Drink plenty of fluids (water and/or juice) before and after your donation.
- Make sure you bring verification of your identity – a driver’s license or government-issued ID card – showing your name, photo and date of birth.
- If you are donating platelets, be sure you have avoided taking aspirin for 48 hours before your donation.